Tuesday, March 8, 2011

When Inspiration is Dead on...


It started around Christmas time last year, when I was trying to come up with ideas for handmade gifts for my friends. I was painting personalized frames and I needed an idea for one friend and for some reason, the one thing that stuck with me was how much she loved the art of Dia De Los Muertos and Sugar Skulls. So, I painted her a frame with two sugar skulls on it.

I had such a great time with it, that I decided to paint some more and work the theme into some of my mosaic art. I am so fascinated by the majesty and the beauty of sugar skulls and the entire idea of the Dia De Los Muertos celebration.
I want my pieces to evoke a sense of celebration and fond remembrance of the departed. So, while yes...they are technically paintings of skulls; I want them to feel alive, happy, beautiful, and unique.
I think that part of the reason this entire genre enthralls me so much, comes from a quote that I love by Thomas Campbell, "To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die." I find that the memories I carry for the ones I love that have passed away are as strong and beautiful as they were when they were alive, and in that sense...they are always with me.
And, I think that is what I am trying to evoke in this set of works...to paint something that in all manner of thought, points to death and loss and sadness; but with colors and designs and themes that suddenly make it alive, happy and full of energy.
It's an idea that I think my brain is constantly trying to express through art, because I have not yet figured out how to properly articulate it. But, it's something along the lines of finding the joy, finding the happiness in every moment; because there always is some.

And, judging by the number of skull sketches I have on my desk at the moment; I have a feeling that I'll have many more in the works very soon. (The one pictured above is my current project...The Lover) Much love to all...and may you always live luminously!

No comments:

Post a Comment