Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Little Things


Have you ever had one of those days? Where the sun is shining just a little bit brighter, the colors are all the more vibrant, and your heart sings with joy?

Yeah, today was one of those days.

I'm not exactly sure what the cause of such a wonderful day was; I'm not even sure there IS a cause. Mostly I attribute it to a finding of balance.
I've always been an anxious person, a person who needs things to be simple and organized, and I always need everyone (except usually myself) to be happy.
The day I started my Etsy shop, I was terrified. Shaking in my boots, sweaty palms, terrified! I was afraid I would screw it up, nothing would sell, people would hate my work etc. My husband sat me down and asked me this one simple question, "Does making art, make you happy?" to which I replied and obvious, "Yes". "Then nothing else matters." He went on to tell me how money and popularity and the like were just icing on the cake; but if it was the actual process and not the results that made me happy...why worry about them?
And since that little conversation; my perspective on the entire subject has shifted.

In fact I have yet to sell even one piece of art. But, I'm still ecstatic! Why? Because I am actually trying. For me, being able to create beautiful pieces I love and share them with the world is a HUGE accomplishment (you wouldn't believe how much art pieces I have hidden away in boxes, because I was unable to bear sharing them)
For me, it's the thrill of effort, the enjoyment of knowing I am giving of myself openly and freely.
Of course, I am still like a kid at Christmas when people mark my works as "Favorites" or share a piece in a "Treasury". A subtle shift in perspective have made the little accomplishments all the more sweet.

The world is a beautiful, mysterious, amazing place to those who marvel at the colors of the leaves, the feel of the wind on their cheek and the the sound of the waves on the shore.


So, for all of you out there, struggling to find balance; just remember to cherish the little things. And may you always "Live Luminously"

No comments:

Post a Comment