Tuesday, February 8, 2011

FINALLY!!!


I can't even begin to explain what a short attention span I have. I was once taught a meditation called "Monkey mind", that essentially consists of following your thoughts as they bounce from subject to subject. Well, I have a "Monkey on crack" mind. I am thinking non stop, all day long, about any and every subject that could possibly pop into my brain.

So, with that in mind...one might wonder what it is I am doing making art pieces that essentially consist of hours of mundane, repetitive work. But, oddly enough it's the one thing I can sit down to do and lose myself for hours (heck, I can't even get lost that long watching tv!)
In a sense, it's like meditation for me. It forces me to focus my thoughts on one specific task (mainly getting those little paper tiles to stick where they're suppossed to, and figuring out how to line them up just right). It's like putting together a puzzle and for me, it's extremely soothing.
My artist ADD kicks in when I get near the end of a project and I get antsy to be finished.

I've put well over 15 hours into this latest piece, "Pretty as a Peacock" and WOW...was that one tough! It was absolutely my biggest attention wrangling experience yet, and it was SOOOOO worth it. I am so incredibly happy with how it turned out.

But, it's also put into perspective how much more diversity I need to pursue with my work. While having a "big" piece in the works is good for me; it's also a very good idea for me to have smaller, more "instant gratification" type pieces as well, so I don't lose my focus or get too jumpy and try to rush through it.

So, there ya have it. Now, this monkey mind is off to work on the next piece. Much love always and may you always live luminously.

No comments:

Post a Comment