Friday, February 18, 2011

SOLD!


I get so excited when I sell a piece. It's probably because I'm still fairly new to all of this "selling art" stuff; but I literally get all jumpy and smiley for hours afterward.

There's a quote I love from the movie Transformers (Revenge of the Fallen...yes, I am that big of a nerd) when Sam says, "It's just that my low self esteem is at an all time high", and that's kind of how I feel when a piece sells.

I love my work, I love creating it, I love showing it off; but in my mind, most people couldn't care less and give the ol' halfhearted "Oh, that's very nice" speech to shut me up. Don't get me wrong, I have unbelievable support from friends, family, and fellow artists and Etsy sellers; but I think I have a "overly critical" filter in my brain that mutes and distorts the good and blasts and enhances the bad. (As is true with many artists it seems)
So, when people say "That's really good"...I hear "Eh, it's cool, but nothing to get too excited about"

But....when someone actually spends real, honest to goodness, actual hard earned money on a piece of my art; I am overwhelmed with joy! It's the 'in your face" kind of validation that helps me to keep putting my low self esteem on the line and put my art out there (instead of hoarding it in a dusty closet).

So, today...My low self esteem is at an all time high! Much love always. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment